Learn a language, share a culture, change the world! The Summer International & Indigenous Languages Program – Elementary, promotes cultural and linguistic diversity, and is available for all children of elementary age (starting at age 4), regardless of their language background and the school board they attend. Students practice speaking and listening, reading and writing while in a social, fun setting. This summer, our International and Indigenous Languages Summer Program is offered in two formats; Virtual or In-Person.
Virtual or In-Person
Students attending the Virtual Program may register for one morning and/or an afternoon class. They will use Google Meet for synchronous learning and Google Classroom to access learning materials. Students are required to have access to a device (Chromebook, laptop) and access to the internet.
Students attending the In-Person Program will have morning classes from 9:00 am – 11:30 am, and may select from the various languages and locations we offer.
We are offering Cantonese, Dutch, Farsi, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified), Mandarin (Traditional), Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, and Yoruba.
The program runs July 4 – July 29, 2022, Monday to Friday. The deadline to register is July 20, 2022.
Morning Classes – 9:00 am to 11:30 am (JK – Grade 8)
Our Lady of Fatima, 2135 Knightsbridge Rd., Ottawa
Mandarin (Simplified), Mandarin for Beginners, Cantonese, Portuguese, (Dutch July 4 to 15)
St. Cecilia, 3490 Cambrian Rd., Barrhaven
Mandarin (Simplified), Korean, Spanish
Note: Students registered for Mandarin (Simplified) after May 18 will be placed on a waiting list.
St. Clare, 2133 Gardenway Dr., Orléans
Mandarin (Simplified), Russian, Spanish
St. Elizabeth, 1366 Coldrey Ave., Ottawa (This summer location is no longer available)
Polish, Spanish, Swahili, Tigrinya, Turkish, Yoruba
St. Gabriel, 400 Keyrock Dr., Kanata North
Farsi, Mandarin (Simplified), Russian, Spanish
Note: The Farsi class is full. Students registered for Farsi after May 18 will be placed on a waiting list.
Afternoon Camps – 11:30 am to 5:30 pm (Fees apply)
An Early Drop-Off option is available from 8:00 am – 9:00 am, at a fee of $20/week or $80/4 weeks payable through SchoolCash Online.
Morning Classes – 9:30 am to 12:00 pm (JK – Grade 8)
- Mandarin (Simplified)
Afternoon Classes – 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm (Grades 2 – 8, Beginner Level Only)
- Mandarin (Simplified)
Students may register for:
- one morning class (Grades JK – Grade 8) OR
- one afternoon class (Grades 2 – Grade 8) (Note: Different Grade range in pm class) OR
- one morning class and one afternoon class (Different languages am/pm)
Students will be provided with engaging activities to practice speaking and listening, reading and writing in a social, fun online setting. Friday will be a day for special events/activities.
Classes will be delivered online using Google Meet for synchronous learning and Google Classroom to access learning materials. Students are required to have access to a device (Chromebook, laptop) and access to the internet, in order to take part in the classes.
Beginner Level Instruction (Grades 2 – 8 only)
A beginner-level class is for students with no prior knowledge of the language or for those students who have some cultural familiarity but limited language knowledge. Beginner classes are only available to students in Grades 2 – 8. The afternoon classes are only for beginner-level students.
- Students who are in JK – Grade 8 in the current 2021-2022 school year.
- Students born in 2018 and have pre-registered into a Kindergarten program starting Fall 2022 (publicly-funded school boards only) are eligible to register in this summer’s IL program.
- Students must be available for the full duration of the class time and may not be registered in any other OCSB virtual summer school program (e.g. Summer Numeracy/Literacy or Reach Ahead Credit) scheduled at the same time of day.
- Students from Ontario and Quebec living in the Ottawa area.
As per the Ontario Ministry of Education guidelines, the following supporting documents of NEW students to our program must be reviewed by the Continuing Education Department prior to confirmation of the registration. We will email parents the details of this process upon receipt of the registration.
Proof of Address (only one required):
- Current Property Tax Bill
- Current Utility Bill
- Home Phone/Cable/Internet Bill
- Please note, Driver’s License is not acceptable
Proof of Citizenship and Status in Canada (only one required):
- Canadian Citizen (Birth Certificate, Passport, Baptismal Certificate)
- Permanent Resident (Permanent Resident Card, Stage One Approval letter, Equivalent Documentation from
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirming approval in principle)
- Refugee Status: Documentation from IRCC confirming status, Consideration of eligibility (Convention refugee)
- Diplomat Status / Minister’s Permit
- Student Visa (Study Permit)
- Visitor Visa (Visitor Record)
Registration for summer 2022 is now closed.
- Summer IL Program is offered free-of-charge to Ontario residents
- A tuition fee of $105 per language per child will be charged to Out-of-Province and International Students, and Visitors to Canada. If a fee-paying student cancels, we will refund a prorated amount minus a $15 administration fee
- There are no consumable fees for the summer 2022 IL program.
Please use SchoolCash to pay for out-of-province tuition fees and early-drop off (In-Person) fees.
The Ottawa Catholic School Board reserves the right to cancel any program due to lack of registration.