Learn a Language, Earn a Credit
Student success includes thriving in a global society, and access to more than one culture and language enriches the lives of students, families and the community. This is the foundation on which the International Languages Program at the Ottawa Catholic School Board was developed.
Welcome to the 2022 – 2023
International Languages Secondary Program!
Credit Courses for All Grades at All Levels
September 10, 2022 to June 10, 2023
9:00 am – 12:30 pm every Saturday
Registration for the 2022-23 school year is now CLOSED
Registration is now open! Classes will be offered virtually and/or in-person. In-person classes will depend on the current public health regulations determined by the Ministry of Education and Ottawa Public Health. If in-person classes must be canceled, students will be offered to switch to virtual learning. Note that some school sites may change.
This program enables high-school students and adult students to learn and maintain a language other than English and French. Students can earn up to three credits towards their Ontario high school diploma. The program also aims to:
- foster global awareness and understanding
- prepare students for post-secondary studies and careers in business, trade and communications
- enable global skills for travel, International Student exchanges and other opportunities here and abroad
- develop communication skills for international/global employment opportunities.
|Language||Format||Location for In-person|
|ASL (American Sign Language)||Virtual & In-Person||St. Mother Teresa HS, 440 Longfields Dr., Barrhaven|
|Korean||Virtual & In-Person||St. Mother Teresa HS, 440 Longfields Dr., Barrhaven|
|Mandarin (Simplified)||Virtual & In-Person||– Notre Dame HS, 710 Broadview Ave., Ottawa
– All Saints HS, 5115 Kanata Ave., Kanata
– St. Mother Teresa HS, 440 Longfields Dr., Barrhaven
|Polish||In-Person||St. Nicholas Adult HS, 893 Admiral Ave., Ottawa|
|Spanish||Virtual & In-Person||Frank Ryan Catholic Int School, 128 Chesterton Dr., Ottawa
We offer the following courses:
Eligibility, prerequisites, curriculum
Eligibility, prerequisites, curriculum
Grade 9-12 students in the 2022-2023 school year, and adults with or without prior linguistic and cultural background are eligible for the program.
- Adult students must meet the same requirements as high school students with regards to attendance and completion of assignments.
- All IL credit courses follow the Ontario Curriculum Grades 9 to 12, Classical Studies and International Languages (revised 2016) and are accepted as credits towards a high school diploma. Current graduation requirements recognize at least one credit in a third language.
- There are three levels of credit language courses:
- Level 1: Academic (BD) or Open (BO)
- Level 2: University (CU) or Open (CO)
- Level 3: University (DU) or Open (DO)
- CU and DU level courses have prerequisites (BD and CU respectively)
- CO and DO level courses have prerequisites (BO and CO respectively)
REGISTRATION for the 2022 – 2023 school year
is now open!
2022 – 2023 IL Calendar
Consumable Fee: $10 (payable online)
Students from Quebec or International students residing in Ontario must pay a tuition fee of $525 (payable online)
Online payments can be made between May 21 and September 21, 2022
Questions: Call 613-723-7757
The Ottawa Catholic School Board reserves the right to cancel any program due to low enrolment.
– – –Proof of Address:
Current Property Tax Bill; Current Utility Bill; Home Phone/Cable/Internet Bill.
Note: A driver’s license is not accepted as proof of address
– – –
Proof of Citizenship and Status in Canada:
- Canadian Citizen (Birth Certificate, Passport, Baptismal Certificate)
- Permanent Resident (Permanent Resident Card, Stage One Approval letter, Equivalent Documentation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirming approval in principle)
- Refugee Status: Documentation from IRCC confirming status, Consideration of eligibility (Convention refugee)
- Diplomat Status / Minister’s Permit
- Student Visa (Study Permit)
Interested in our Secondary Summer Programs?
The Ottawa Catholic School Board reserves the right to cancel any program due to lack of registration.